As the largest city in the second-largest state in the US, Houston is a great place to live for work, play, and everything in between. But if you, your partner, or your family are ready for a break from the big-city crowds and traffic, you may be looking for easy day trips or weekend family getaways near Houston. Fortunately, the possibilities are almost endless in this part of the Lone Star State. Here are some great places you can get to in an hour’s drive (or less) from Houston.
Galveston Island is a popular Gulf Coast destination. Here you can enjoy walking views of the water and wildlife from the Seawall, but there’s much more to do. Popular attractions include:
- Riding the ferry to Port Bolivar
- Exploring the historic Strand district with its eateries, specialty food shops, and boutiques
- Touring historic landmarks like the Bishop’s Palace (known as Gresham House), and the Moody Mansion
- Visiting museums, including the Ocean Offshore Drilling Rig & Museum, the Galveston Naval Museum, and the Bryan Museum (art gallery).
Also located on the Gulf, Kemah is home to the Kemah Boardwalk, a major entertainment complex. There are activity and dining options for everyone in the family, including:
- Enjoying a thrill on amusement park rides
- Sampling waterfront dining and seafood
- Taking boat tours of the bay with the Boardwalk Beast
- Visiting the Stingray Reef aquarium
- Booking passage on a fishing charter boat
If you prefer to avoid the crowds at Galveston Island and Kemah, Tomball is one of the best day trips from Houston you can take. It showcases some of the most time-honored elements of Texan culture—barbecue, local history, and country music—in an accessible, low-key way. Some of the best things to see and do in this charming small town include:
- Attending Tomball’s many seasonal festivals throughout the year
- Hiking in the Kleb Woods Nature Preserve
- Shopping at the Tomball Farmers Market
- Sampling barbecue, Baja-style food, ice cream, and more
- Visiting one of the town’s museums, such as the Railroad Depot’s train museum and the Tomball Museum Center
- Browsing antique and boutique shops in the historic downtown area
- Taking in a local concert at Main Street Crossing
Get Away From It All at Main Street Crossing
Main Street Crossing is one of the best small music venues in the Houston metro area. This unique nonprofit in a historical venue hosts country, Americana, folk, blues, and other types of music artists in an intimate setting: the furthest seat is only 45 feet from the stage. MSC also offers food, beverages, table service, and community seating, making it easier to interact with fellow concertgoers and even performing artists. Parking is convenient and stress-free.
Main Street Crossing additionally functions as a multi-use venue for church services, concerts, and more located in Tomball. Check out our event calendar and enjoy entertainment in support of good causes!